Monday 4 June 2007

Valleys & Rocks

The sets I did on valleys & rocks were composites again, using sketches from Ireland, Wales & the The Lakes. I did a whole series of skylines & then added features later. I've got dozens of skylines still waiting for details. I tried to make the skylines & the lines of the hillsides accurate, while rocks, gates & paths were added from other sources & because of the way the wax flows (or doesn't) some just happened. Since having a decent scanner, I messed around with the images, mainly altering colours.
I've shown them with the original first & then the altered image after it.
The first one was actually a real failure that I just liked. Using a full sized iron meant that I sometimes had difficulty when I tried to get perspective & scale to look right. The icicles were meant to be small & hanging from a branch. I just altered the whole thing when that went wrong!









The next two were a skyline from a place that I think is called Windy Gap in Co. Kerry. Mind you, the detail is from elsewhere because there is really a road running through the valley. It's one of those places that you arrive at unexpectedly because it doesn't look as though it's there until you get "round a corner." We went with Stan & Jackie, got out & walked & then when we tried to find it again a few years later, couldn't locate. I started to think it was a figment of imagination, but Mortimer seemed to think that it existed when we described it.


The next 2 were based on 3 sketches from near Cwm Idwal

This "happy accident" is where I got a patch of rocks completely in the wrong perspective, but liked the gorge it made.




2 comments:

dee said...

The effect of the first one is amazing. Does it matter if it is not true representation. What 'went wrong'? Reminds me of my comment about Francis playing something in the 'wrong' key!!

Micken said...

I've just looked at them again and the one that was supposed to be Windy Gap actually looks quite like the ascent path from Longlands village to Longlands Fell near Uldale in the north part of the Lakes! The only bit missing is the beck on the right. We did it in the snow once.