Saturday 2 June 2007

Encaustic paintings

Today, Rosie posted a couple of my old encaustic paintings on her blog. They came as a happy surprise, like meeting old friends in the street unexpectedly.
The first one one was part of a set I did & still have several partly finished ones in a box. They were really a composite taken from sketches made in both Ireland & Derbyshire. I almost feel like restarting them. I'll wait until later in the summer & will need to clear the backroom a little, because I need empty workspace.
The second one stunned me. I remember the set where I experimented with landscapes using unusual colours & had totally forgotten about. Again I have some unfinished ones. I had forgotten how much I liked the results that gave "other worldly" or fantasy type landscapes. Why did I ever stop? I have hundreds of pounds worth of equipment & materials waiting for me to start up again!!

4 comments:

T said...

I love the 2nd one! Fantastic yellow.

RosieC said...

I'm glad you were pleased to see them Mick, I posted them for you really.

Just like Tom, the second one has always been my favorite as well.

RosieC said...

It's interesting that they look so good on the black background of this blog, better than the white background of my blog.

I have a black boarder arround the originals in the frames they are in but I scanned them without that.

Micken said...

It was the reason I chose the background after a bit of experimenting.