Saturday 1 September 2007

Chances

Chances

The barrier reaches the sky,
As high as the eye can see,
I dare not look and contemplate
This way to insanity

This side is the normal world,
Secure, mundane, well worn ,
Step into the land beyond,
There’s treasure as yet unknown.

But the dangers that lurk are threatening,
Are the gains really worth the risk?
Can the solid things this side the wall,
Be gambled against a wisp?

How can I refuse the beckon,
Or the promise of what is beyond?
Is it real, will it fade, can I take it?
Can I live in that ephemeral land?

The fire is burning still brighter,
It throws light to every side,
Should I jump and cling to the flames
And go on their wild flickering ride?

Reason demands only caution,
For safety it’s better right here,
Wild abandon offers rich prizes,
But carries a burden of fear.

Now you choose which one if you dare to,
The choices are both very plain,
But the outcome of one is stagnation,
Of the other? Could be bliss; could be pain.

August 07

2 comments:

dee said...

This one reduced me to tears. Are you saying what I think you are saying? Whatever its symbolism is so significant for me.

Micken said...

This one is a "multi-purpose" poem. It arises from feelings at a whole range of levels. It was prompted by Beth's attack on my denial of spirituality, but it means more (or less) than that. For Beth it might be related to her new beginnings with a new school. For me (at one level) a willingness to accept things about myself. For me a decision to "properly" retire from teaching in the nearer rather than eventual future. For other people ...