Tuesday 18 September 2007

Acrostics for Peace

In October 1986 there was an "event" to raise awareness of the need for both personal & world peace. I think it was called A Million Minutes for Peace. Everything I wrote about world peace seemed so inadequate that I focused on personal peace and chose to write acrostics. They took me exactly 35 minutes. Here they are, unaltered - Peaceful Moments & Peace.

Peacerful Moments

People walk quite close, but do not speak,
Each one trapped by the spell of early morning,
Awake, but
Caught in a web of thought that
Even noisy trains cannot break,
Following the daily path to work,
Underground,
Leaving me to dream my silent daydreams.

Morning, sitting underneath the trees,
On back to back seats in a haze of rain,
Motionless, silent,
Entering the world of "maybe, if, perhaps."
Nearness and sharing,
Treasured frienship
Speech unnecessary.

Peaceful came from when I was 19 and lived at Grandma's in Gant's Hill for a bit. I travelled by tube across London to Stanmore. The Moments was a very specific occasion sitting in the new abboretum at Rufford Park.
Finally Peace - written about the moments after a climb called Toreador in North Wales.

Peace

Perhaps the struggle of the climb,
Energy draining, full of danger,
Afraid of falls, of death,
Causes me to pause and refelect on
Everything I value.

No comments: